Recording Diary

1/3/16

in this lesson we all agreed to record lukes original song as he already had it rehearsed and ready with other members of the group. It’s an opportunity for several members of the class to have a free recording done so that they can use it for promoting their brand. The song will be made up of acoustic, electric, bass guitar and vocals.

We began by loading up the software and set up three mono audio tracks and routed three mics from the desk into Cubase. We used a D I which went into channel 7 and routed into track one, then a Sampson C01 in Channel 5 and into 2, finally an NT1 Ambient in channel 6 and routed into chanel 3.We then used phantom power as the mics we used were condensers (more sensitive ) and we tested that everything was working and that there was no feedback. Out of the two mics we use the Sampson C01 in front of the sound hole as we felt it had a clearer sound and the NT1 ambient further away so that would still pick up the sound but also give it even more of a distant ambient effect.

After playing through the song several times over all the class was happy with the sound of the guitar. I didn’t personally have much say in it, I felt like the people involved with the song (the band) had more to say as they knew how they wanted their song to sound.

8/3/16
As a group we listened back to the previous weeks recordings in order to make sure that we were happy with the way things sounded. We agreed that the sun would benefit from a baseline and that during the session we would work on recording my base line. We were looking for a simple baseline that would complement the vocals and guitar, given that this was an acoustic song. I feel that we achieve this, agreed an appropriate baseline and include this in our recording
We added a midi track to Cubase and experimented with various instrumental sounds on the keyboard. Use the following channels; Channel 5 – DI – 1, Channel 6 – NT1 -2 and Channel 7 – B drum -3.
Relate to record the guitar part using NT1 and S M57 mics. There were problems with the volume level and headphones were not producing any sound to begin with. It took us three attempts to get this right.

15/3/16

in this lesson we thought about adding some kind of keyboard sound to the song. So there was lots of playing around with different sounds to create the desired effect however none of these seemed to enhance the song itself so we decided against it.

Then the group decided that harmonies would be a good addition to the song around the second verse. So some as of the group volunteered to go away and try and figure something out however they struggled to get them bang on and it didn’t sound right over what was already there, so again refrained from adding them to the mix.

 

22/3/16

We listened to the track and decided that we felt like all the elements were there and we just needed to tweak a few things to make The overall sound of the track to a higher standard. So we came to mixing the whole track and this is done in these stages:

Stage 1: Editing (normalize, quantize, cuting and pasting)

Stage 2: Signal Processing (noise gate, compression, EQ)

Stage 3: Effects ( Delay, flange, reverb, chorus, phaser)

Stage 4: Mixing balance (levels, panning, automatation)

Stage 5: Mixdown (wavefile, mp3)

To properly begin editing the track it meant normalising all the tracks so that they were at a similar volume. To do this we started by making the vocals stand out more as Luke felt his vocals were not loud enough. However vocals were already up as high as the could be so we had to take the volume of all the other tracks down using the mixer, apart from the vocal NT1 which we increased and we then took the Sampson chorus and panned it to the left and the NT1 to the right. We had to check the vocals were not peaking and causing distortion . We then listened to the bass, and we took the D1 down to -5 and the D112 down to -7. Then it was onto guitar, we normalised the lead guitar so that again the high notes weren’t peking and distorting, NT1 was panned to the left and the sm57 to the right.We then moved onto digital processing.To begin with we tried noise gating the base to average volume however that didn’t work so we equalised the bass so The frequencys were equal.

Then we moved on to adding effects to the track. We tried some reverb on the vocals however the general opinion was that it was too much and it sounded more fitting to the song how it was before . However we did put some reverb on the acoustic guitar to add to the ambient background sound of the track.We also added some delay to the electric guitar to make the whole track sound more expansive.
We attempted to shorten the beginning of the track but found that because all of the instruments kept starting at different times we could not bring them all together at the beginning. Having asked Rob for advice we reviewed all the takes, shortening them to all the same length at the beginning of the piece and we also cited them in at the beginning, so that all the instruments came and smoothly at the same time and faded out at the end.
We faded out the lead guitar and cleaned up the sound in the vocal chorus at the end, fading them out, followed by a mixed down which was downloaded and stored as 320 Mp3. Via Google and Gmail we sent the MP3 file to Luke, so that he could put it onto sound cloud.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s